“Mom.” It’s one of the most beautiful words in the English language, and whether she’s the woman who brought you in to this world, or she’s someone who has had a profound influence in your life, the people who become our mother figures deserve not only our respect and love, but a damn thoughtful holiday gift. And it’s not too late to get her something wonderful. Something mindfully vegan and eco-chic. Something that will tell her “you’re really fucking special to me.” Without further ado, I present the Holiday Gift Guide for the mommas in your life.
1. Tata Harper ‘Beauty In Bloom’ Natural Glow and Hydration Trio – $140: Chances are, you think your mom’s face is among the most beautiful in the whole world. In my case, my mom not only has the best face, but the greatest smile and laugh that lift my spirits whenever I see/hear it. Treat her to a world of natural, Eco-Certified, vegan, cruelty-free skincare that is as nourishing as it is lush. This kit contains Tata Harper’s wildly popular Plum Resurfacing Mask, luxurious Hydrating Floral Essence, and most-wanted purse essential, rosy-tinted ‘Be Adored’ lip salve. It’s a gift she’ll appreciate all year.
2. Jill Milan “Lucky” Pendant – $150: Few vegan fashion labels are as synonymous with celebrity-status luxury as Jill Milan. Give Mom a precious sterling silver piece named after a horse recently rescued from a slaughter auction by the incredible Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue. Net proceeds of this beautiful piece go to support the wonderful work of SCTR, who rescues Thoroughbreds of all ages with a primary goal of rescuing horses at livestock and “low-end” auctions which sell horses for the value of their meat. SCTR currently has 25 Thoroughbreds under their care, ranging in age from 4 to 23 years. These horses, which as racing prospects typically sold at prestigious yearling sales for amounts exceeding $100,000, often sell at livestock auctions for as little as $185. Ain’t that some gangster shit? As we all know, caring for horses can be a big, expensive job, and SCTR is among the best and could use our help this cold and expensive year. This is a designer-quality heirloom piece that will truly bring peace-of-mind to a well-run rescue that saves lives. And it’s damn stylish, too. I’m pretty much obsessed with this necklace. Learn more about SCTB and Jill Milan here.
3. Uncommon Goods Upcycled Cotton Sari Robe – $58: Handmade in India by women artisans who are paid a fair wage, this beautiful robe is made from colorful cotton sari scraps (a rare find, since most saris are made from silk). Due to the hand craftsmanship, no one item is exactly alike, making this a beautiful, affordable, unique gift that will fast become a favorite all year long.
4. H2O Plus Sea Lotus Skin Smoother – $20: I love this Chicago-based brand of cruelty-free (though not always vegan) skincare that aims to bring users different scent experiences from the sea. This vegan Sea Lotus Skin Smoother is fantastic for sloughing away dry winter blues, packed with healing algae and extracts, and has a straight-from-the-beach scent that lingers and is so luscious. Perfect stocking stuffer for that mama with hand-working hands and feet.
5. “More Than The Stars” Eau de Parfum by Olivine – $80: Incredibly lush bottle with Gatsby-esque atomizer? Check. A charming name that truly encapsulates your admiration for good ole mama? Yep. A scent laced with rich ingredients like almond, gardenia, stargazer lily, vegan Egyptian musk, sandalwood, and other exotics? Oh, yes. Completely vegan and cruelty-free? Boy howdy, is it ever. I’m pretty obsessed with Olivine’s entire line of goodies (stay tuned for a TLF giveaway in the new year) because they smell gorgeous, are irresistably packaged (Anthropologie is obsessed, too, among others), and have a conscience. Can’t you just see this adding glamour and specialness to mom’s dressing table and daily routine? So beautiful.
6. Vegan For Her by Ginny Messina and JL Fields – $13.23: Give mom the book of good health, made just for women (especially for wise women). Vegan For Her is sound and accessible nutritional and lifestyle guidance made fun by the want-to-be-friends-with-’em and knowledgeable duo, Ginny Messina and JL Fields. A perfect stocking stuffer for the lady in your life who wants to be healthier, go vegan, or just learn more about the rockin’ multi-benefits of plant-powered lifestyle. Chock full of tasty recipes (Curry Cashew Butter much?) and expert guidance, it’s the new Our Bodies Ourselves for the eco-conscious woman.
7. Another Feather Crest Cuff – $85: Handmade jewelry that’s infinitely wearable. Mom will get a lot of use out of this elegant, notched slim cuff that gently goes with every ensemble.
8. Miyu De-Stress Mi Beauty Tea – $16: Make her daily tea ritual extra beneficial with these beautiful teas designed to de-stress, hydrate, and calm. This fresh and earthy blend of peppermint, licorice, and chamomile blossoms blend boasts anti-inflammatory properties for calming stressed skin and nerves.
9. World Vision Hand-Carved Serving Spoons – $65: Donate to World Vision and get these one-of-a-kind, hand-carved Olivewood serving spoons, which make any salad or casserole even more special. The serving spoons are made to benefit orphans of the Kamba tribe in Kenya. And each one is unique—just like the children they help.
Action Items: Tell me you like this (it makes me feel good). Visit the other Gift Guides for Ladyfriends, Dudes, and Hard To Buy For.
* * * *